The birth of my son prompted me to embark on a new mission: to locate a daycare center or a babysitter so I can return to work. My findings were disappointing. Finding a good babysitter was not only difficult but expensive. All the good ones were taken. Finding a daycare was just as frustrating. Most of them had waiting lists. I found everything from chipped paint to ill equipped staff members caring for the children. Daycare centers were more affordable but they accepted a large number of children and had ratios of one adult to four children in the infant classroom.
This all led me to start my own daycare business. I felt that this would be one way I can provide quality childcare for my children and my community. My daycare will also serve as a comprehensive health center. As a social worker and psychotherapist, I will have the ability to assess and offer consulting on psychological and environmental issues that affect the children and families in my care.
The mission of my daycare is:
- Quality and affordable daycare
- Age-appropriate curriculum
- Small number of children
- Appropriate staff to child ratios
- Clean play environment
- To provide children with physical, emotional and cognitive nurturing
- Emphasis on physical activity
- A program that is flexible and meets the needs of the community
- Safe and convenient location
- A unique quality preschool education
Arete Galanis, M.S. Ed., LCSW
Early Childhood Teacher, Clinical Social Worker and Psychotherapist